Hoos Place is Turning *1* This Summer!
We want to start by thanking all Hoo fans out there who have helped make this a great first year at HOOS Place. We started this website last year as a "By Fans, For Fans" project. We wanted to produce the sort of content (video breakdowns, game previews, ACC-wide coverage, for instance) that we ourselves were craving.
We didn't know what we were jumping into when we launched last year: The technical and business aspects related to running a website; meeting ambitious deadlines we set for ourselves; balancing these activities with our daily lives of families and careers. They all proved challenging at times, but we've found it incredibly rewarding.
The postive response of our readers has made this a journey we're glad we undertook. As our readership steadily grew during the 2017-18 academic year, as we were able to share the highs and lows of the football, basketball, and baseball seasons with you all, so too did we iron out technical difficulties and establish production rhythms.
But we are always striving to grow, to innovate, to find better ways to bring you, Wahoo Nation, the sports content you deserve. And so we'd like to share with you our vision for HOOS Place: Year 2. Some of this will happen quickly, others will roll out later in the year, and we can't promise there won't be a hiccup or two along the way [Webmaster Note: I can promise there will be hiccups]. But regardless, we're excited:
- HOOS Place Facebook presence - We've been eternally grateful for the UVA Hoops Facebook group, and its dedicated administrators, for routinely cross-posting our content into the group. We want to take it one step further this year, by creating our own Facebook page, @HoosPlace, and using it to share content directly with an even wider audience of Hoo fans and alums, as well as giving us new means to interact directly with you all in the UVA Hoops group.
- Expanded football coverage - We got such great feedback from our basketball season preview series last year that we're going to launch a football preview series as well this summer. Position breakdowns, schedule analysis, and looks around the ACC... Look for it to kick off in the coming weeks.
- A new look to the site - Call it HOOS Place 2.0. Stylistic tweaks and some interface improvements give hints to more powerful options. The data and highlights search engine is being completely rewritten to be more useful. Tutorials and pre-set searches will make it easier for users to dig into the data we keep. The Recruiting Big Board will now be database driven, an interface to our growing Virginia Basketball recruiting database. For HOO Friends, new updates will be highlighted to make keeping up easier. Historical searches will be possible in future years.
- Streamlined options to subscribe for premium content - We will be taking advantage of Stripe's recurring billing engine to allow automatic subscriptions.
- Content in your inbox via direct email service - An email newsletter with links to the latest content updates will be an option open to all Friends.
This is on top of our continuing coverage of football, basketball, and baseball from all relevant angles, from offseason recruiting to pregame previews to postgame analysis.
So again, from all of us here at HOOS Place, to all of you across the internet, thank you sincerely from the bottom of our hearts for your support this year, and we hope to see you all throughout this next year as well.